Applying for Study Permit Outside Canada

Step 1. Gather Documents

  • Letter of acceptance from the Designated Learning Institution where you intend to study
  • Proof of financial support for the duration of your studies in Canada
  • Copy of your Marriage Certificate, if applicable
  • Two photos meeting the requirements
  • Passport copy of the information page
  • Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office

Step 2. Complete the Application

Step 3. Pay the fees

  • Application processing fee payment of CA$150 per person

Step 4. Submit the application

Visitor’s Visa – Visit Canada as a tourist

Step 1. Get the application package

  • Valid passport, must be one completely blank page other than the last page, available in each passport
  • Two photos meeting the requirements
  • Photocopy of your current immigration document, if applicable
  • Proof of financial support
  • Photocopy of your valid return ticket and/or travel itinerary, if applicable.
  • Minor travelling alone or with one parent: custody documents or a letter of authorization from the other non accompanying parent or a letter of authorization signed by both parents or legal guardians, if applicable.
  • Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office.

Step 2. Pay your application fees

Step 3. Submit your application

Step 4. Check processing time

Work as a co-op student or intern

Step 1. Determine how you will apply

Online or on paper

Step 2. Get application package

  • Photocopies of passport pages;
  • A final transcript; or
  • A letter from the institution; or
  • The formal notification of graduation;
  • Copy of the fee payment receipt showing the amount paid
  • Original letter provided by the institution stating that your intended employment is an essential part of your program of study (for co-op work permit)

Step 3. Complete application and attach necessary documents

Step 4. Submit application

Get a post-graduation work permit

To obtain a work permit after your graduation, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • In addition, you must have graduated from:
  1. a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
  2. a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, or
  3. a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if you are enrolled in one of the programs and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution
  • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program
  • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

Step 1. Get the application package

Make sure you are eligible for the post-graduation work permit before you apply.

Step 2. Pay your application fees

Step 3. Submit your application